MasterChef’s Gary Mehigan has hit back at a journalist who accused him of thinking he’s ‘irreplaceable’.
The 52-year-old shared a screenshot of a News Corp article to Instagram on Saturday, and said in his 35-year career he’s ‘eaten a lot of humble pie’.
Last week, Gary and his fellow judges George Calombaris and Matt Preston, were ousted from the hit show amid reports of a pay dispute.
‘Believe me, I’ve eaten a lot of humble pie!’ MasterChef’s Gary Mehigan, 52, hit back at a journalist on Instagram on Saturday, who accused him of thinking he’s ‘irreplaceable’
Directing his lengthy Instagram response to the journalist, Gary said he’s ‘learnt so many lessons’ in his 52 years.
’35 years in what is a difficult industry and believe me I’ve eaten a lot of humble pie… I know the taste well. I’ve also eaten a few s**t sandwiches… those I’ll be quite honest, I didn’t like.’
Gary, who has co-hosted MasterChef since its premiere in 2009, went on to say that he’s enjoyed ’11 years of amazingly positive and uplifting television’.
He concluded by recalling how a mentor encouraged him to ‘never be afraid of change’ and embrace ‘something new and exciting’.
In the article, the journalist had accused Gary of thinking he’s ‘irreplaceable’ and perhaps ‘grew too comfortable’ in the role.
Response: Gary shared a screenshot of a News Corp article and said in his 35-year career he’s ‘eaten a lot of humble pie’. He also said he’s excited to embrace ‘something new and exciting’
The journalist also referenced axed Today show host Karl Stefanovic, 44, who was ousted from the program in December 2018 after nearly 14 years on air.
On Tuesday it was confirmed Gary, George and Matt will not be returning to MasterChef in 2020.
Reports have claimed the trio chose to walk away from the program after Ten refused to give them a significant pay boost.
George had faced demands he be dumped from the reality cooking show for underpaying his restaurant staff nearly $8 million.
In a statement – which avoided mentioning Calombaris’ scandal – Ten’s CEO Paul Anderson claimed the decision followed months of failed talks with the chefs.
Contract not renewed: On Tuesday it was confirmed Gary and his fellow judges George Calombaris [centre] and Matt Preston [right] will not be returning to MasterChef in 2020
Paul Anderson said: ‘Despite months of negotiations, Ten has not been able to reach a commercial agreement that was satisfactory to Matt, Gary and George.
‘We would like to thank Gary, George and Matt for their contribution over the past 11 years.’
Gary uploaded a farewell post to Instagram on Tuesday night, that read: ‘It was time to move on, have more free time to explore our own creativity. It was never about the money and never will be about the money.
‘We couldn’t agree on the term of the new contract for 2020 and season 12. Something we felt very strongly about.
‘The opportunity to work with Matt and George has been a blessing and something I cherish. Working together will continue to be the most important thing for us… the three musketeers,’ he concluded.
Failed talks: Ten’s CEO Paul Anderson claimed the decision followed months of failed talks with the chefs