Health & Medical

2-year-old boy dies after contracting E. coli at petting zoo – ABC News

2-year-old boy dies after contracting E. coli at petting zoo – ABC News

A 2-year-old child has died after contracting E. coli at a petting zoo that was part of the San Diego County Fair. The young boy was one of four children who contacted E. coli from the fair, according to the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency. The ages of the four infected…

A 2-300 and sixty five days-aged baby has died after contracting E. coli at a petting zoo that turned into as soon as section of the San Diego County Lovely.

The young boy turned into as soon as one among four young of us who contacted E. coli from the horny, in line with the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Company.

The ages of the four contaminated young of us ranged from 2 to 13 years aged.

Officers stated they’re aloof investigating the accurate motive of the an infection, however reported all of the young of us had contact with animals at the horny.

PHOTO: Four young of us were sickened by E. coli after visiting the petting zoo at the San Diego County Lovely in mid-June. One baby, a 2-300 and sixty five days-aged boy, died.
Allison Horn/KGTV
Four young of us were sickened by E. coli after visiting the petting zoo at the San Diego County Lovely in mid-June. One baby, a 2-300 and sixty five days-aged boy, died.

“Our sympathies exit to the family of the baby that died from this illness,” Dr. Wilma J. Wooten, county public health officer, stated in an announcement. “While most of us recuperate from this illness with out complications, 5 to 10 p.c of of us diagnosed with STEC waste the existence-threatening kidney an infection.”

E. coli is a bacteria chanced on within the stomachs of of us and animals and is in most cases harmless, however some traces can motive diarrhea, vomiting and extreme wretchedness. Teens cling a greater likelihood of coming down with a existence-threatening kidney an infection and organ failure, in line with the Mayo Sanatorium.

The health department stated it examined food suppliers at the fairgrounds and chanced on no contamination.

“Sadly, we’ve learned a young baby, about three hours within the past, passed away,” Tim Fennell, general supervisor of the San Diego County Lovely, stated at a press convention Friday. “I desire to claim our hearts, our prayers, our tips exit to the family and the mates of this young baby. We’re devastated. It appears that these of us attended the horny between June 8 and June 15 and were alive to with contact, presumably, with a cattle animal at the petting zoo. No contamination has to fabricate with food carrier or food at all.”

“We’re heartbroken over this incident,” he added.

PHOTO: Four young of us were sickened by E. coli after visiting the petting zoo at the San Diego County Lovely in mid-June. One baby, a 2-300 and sixty five days-aged boy, died.
Allison Horn/KGTV
Four young of us were sickened by E. coli after visiting the petting zoo at the San Diego County Lovely in mid-June. One baby, a 2-300 and sixty five days-aged boy, died.

The petting zoo has been closed down, officials stated, however the horny itself will remain originate.

“Security’s all been and would possibly perhaps presumably presumably per chance aloof proceed to be our No. 1 priority right here at the horny going ahead,” assistant general supervisor Katie Mueller stated. “We hope that folks will approach out to the horny and scrutinize all that we have to give.”

The horny, positioned at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, is originate till July 4.

ABC Data’ Ahmad Hemingway contributed to this sage.

View Source

Most Popular

To Top