LANSING, Mich. – Michigan health officers are inserting out a warning because it investigates three that you simply would possibly perhaps perhaps imagine human cases of jap equine encephalitis (EEE).
Primarily basically based on the CDC, the rare but lethal mosquito-borne virus can cause brain infections and swelling. Greatest about a cases within the U.S. are reported yearly but about 33% of oldsters with EEE die and grand of survivors own ongoing neurological considerations.
The Michigan Division of Health and Human Services and products says the three cases under investigation are in Kalamazoo and Berrien counties. The department also says it has confirmed a case of California encephalitis virus in a Genesee County resident.
Symptoms of EEE
Signs of EEE encompass the surprising onset of fever, chills, body and joint aches. Symptoms of California encephalitis virus encompass fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and lethargy.
Also fatal to horses
EEE is also fatal to horses. In Monday’s press start, the department talked about six horses in Barry, Kalamazoo and St. Joseph counties diminished in size the virus and own died.
The horses had been no longer vaccinated. A vaccination exists for horses but no longer for folk.
Two deer in Barry and Cass counties had been also identified with EEE.
Steps to desire
Now, forward of a busy high-tail weekend, the MDHHS is urging every person to offer protection to themselves from mosquito bites. Listed below are the precautions the department is urging every person to desire:
- Apply insect repellents that indulge in the active ingredient DEET, or other U.S. Environmental Safety Agency-current product to exposed pores and skin or garments, and repeatedly educate the producer’s instructions for use.
- Set on lengthy-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants when exterior. Apply insect repellent to garments to attend discontinuance bites.
- Employ window and door screening to attend set mosquitoes exterior.
- Empty water from mosquito breeding sites all the blueprint thru the residence, akin to buckets, unused kiddie pools, extinct tires or the same sites where mosquitoes would possibly perhaps perhaps well perhaps lay eggs.
- Disclose nets and/or followers over exterior ingesting areas.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit. The Connected Press contributed to this file. All rights reserved. This material would possibly perhaps perhaps well perhaps no longer be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.