Uncategorized

10th suspect in David Ortiz case headed to court Saturday, prosecutor says – The Boston Globe

On Friday, Santo Domingo’s high prosecutor said he’ll push for a 40-year jail term for the alleged shooter, Rolfi Ferreras Cruz. Such punishment is the most allowed under Dominican regulations for crimes dedicated with a firearm, the prosecutor’s space of enterprise said.

“He’s no longer going to survey the sun for the next 40 years,” Milciades Guzmán, the tip prosecutor, instructed television journalists in Spanish.

Unhurried Friday, Dominican authorities indicted nine suspects, including the 25-year-outdated faculty Cruz, in connection to the capturing, The indictments mean authorities can retain the suspects for up to a year while investigators survey into what they are saying used to be an orchestrated hit on Ortiz.

Ortiz, 43, is hospitalized at Massachusetts Standard Clinic in Boston where he used to be taken Monday for medication.

Dominican authorities possess no longer said who ordered the attack on Ortiz or what the motive might had been, even though they possess indicated that they question to provide more necessary ingredients next week. Officers possess said the alleged hit men had been paid about $7,800 to assassinate Ortiz, who is revered in his native nation, besides to in Massachusetts.

Documents only within the near past submitted by prosecutors shed gentle on Cruz’s actions following the capturing at Dial Bar and Lounge.

At about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, 10 minutes after the capturing, Cruz arrived at the home of a man he knew holding a gun and having a survey skittish, in step with the paperwork bought by the Globe.

Cruz instructed the man, identified by police as Juan Carlos Reynoso, that he had escaped from folks that had tried to attack him and managed to take their gun.

Reynoso said he known as Cruz a taxi and Cruz left, in step with the paperwork.

Cruz has reportedly claimed from jail that Ortiz wasn’t his intended target, asserting he used to be puzzled about his target on story of he had handiest been instructed the colour of the man’s clothes.

A spokesman for prosecutors has rejected Cruz’s assertions, which had been broadcast by Dominican media shops.

Authorities insist Cruz used to be taken to the bar closing Sunday on a bike by Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, 23, who fell from the bike following the capturing, used to be beaten by civilians, and then arrested. Garcia’s lawyer has said his client unwittingly picked up Cruz as a fare.

After the capturing, police learned surveillance footage exhibiting Garcia and Cruz, huddling with five diverse men in a silver car on a twin carriageway near the bar. The automobile used to be pushed by Oliver Moises Mirabal Acosta, who is accused of taking possession of the firearm aged within the attack and then giving it to one more suspect.

These same men had been viewed speaking together within the neighborhood of Las Caobas at 5:30 p.m., about four hours sooner than Ortiz used to be shot.

The paperwork repeat that police think the plot to shoot Ortiz used to be hatched from internal a jail with two inmates, Jose Eduardo Ciprian Lebron and Carlos Rafael Alvarez, communicating with Acosta, Luis Rivas-Clase, 31, and one more person to recruit folks to participate within the attack.


Aimee Ortiz will also be reached at aimee.ortiz@globe.com. Be conscious her on twitter @aimee_ortiz.


Laura Crimaldi will also be reached at laura.crimaldi@globe.com. Be conscious her on Twitter @lauracrimaldi.


Maria Cramer will also be reached at mcramer@globe.com. Be conscious her on Twitter @globemcramer.

View Source

Most Popular

To Top