What's Rising

MasterChef’s Matt Preston forced to laugh off Kyle Sandiland’s joke about George Calombaris

MasterChef’s Matt Preston refuses to answer questions about George Calombaris amid the chef’s $8million underpayment saga – as radio host Kyle Sandilands takes a savage swipe

Embattled MasterChef judge George Calombaris is making headlines this month for underpaying his staff by almost $8million. 

And on Tuesday, George’s co-star Matt Preston awkwardly laughed off a joke about the celebrity chef’s misfortune on The Kyle and Jackie O Show.

Radio host Kyle Sandilands referenced the fact Tourism WA had pulled an advertising campaign featuring George, and Matt didn’t quite know what to say.

He's not getting involved! MasterChef's Matt Preston (pictured) refused to answer questions about George Calombaris during an interview with The Kyle and Jackie O Show on Tuesday

He’s not getting involved! MasterChef’s Matt Preston (pictured) refused to answer questions about George Calombaris during an interview with The Kyle and Jackie O Show on Tuesday

Matt, 57, was discussing how MasterChef tries to ‘champion Australia around the world’ by hosting challenges in different states.

‘I suppose you won’t be doing WA Week now that they’ve dropped old mate?’ Kyle said. ‘It’ll be SA Week next year?’ 

Matt brushed off Kyle’s remark and refused to be drawn into commenting on George’s situation. 

'I suppose you won't be doing WA Week now?' Kyle Sandilands (pictured) referenced the fact Tourism WA had pulled an advertising campaign featuring George. However, Matt brushed off the remark and refused to be drawn into commenting on George's situation

‘I suppose you won’t be doing WA Week now?’ Kyle Sandilands (pictured) referenced the fact Tourism WA had pulled an advertising campaign featuring George. However, Matt brushed off the remark and refused to be drawn into commenting on George’s situation

Causing a stir: Embattled MasterChef judge George Calombaris (right) is making headlines this month for underpaying his staff by almost $8million. Pictured with Matt Preston (centre) and Gary Mehigan (left)

Causing a stir: Embattled MasterChef judge George Calombaris (right) is making headlines this month for underpaying his staff by almost $8million. Pictured with Matt Preston (centre) and Gary Mehigan (left)

‘You know we try and find different places to inspire the contestants,’ he said. ‘That’s the most important thing and we tend not to go back to the same place twice.’ 

It was reported on Monday that Tourism WA had dropped its advertising campaign featuring George, after he was fined for underpaying staff.  

The Channel 10 personality was the star of the six-month campaign aimed at encouraging more foodies to visit the state.

Gone! It was reported on Monday that Tourism WA had dropped its advertising campaign featuring George, after he was fined for underpaying his staff

Gone! It was reported on Monday that Tourism WA had dropped its advertising campaign featuring George, after he was fined for underpaying his staff

Advertising for the campaign had launched during a WA-themed MasterChef week, but has since been pulled from all television and digital sites. 

‘Given the recent community response due to Mr Calombaris’ issues with the Fair Work Commission we have paused the parts of the campaign that have featured him and we’re speaking with his management,’ a spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia.

The Fair Work Commission fined George $200,000 last week for underpaying 515 staff by $7.83million between 2011 and 2017. 

The announcement came after a four-year investigation into George’s company, MAdE Establishment.  

George has already paid back his staff but will have his business audited for the next three years to make sure the mistake doesn’t happen again.

The Melbourne-based restaurateur has faced a torrent of backlash since the announcement, with many calling from to be sacked from MasterChef. 

Will he be fired? The Melbourne restaurateur has faced a torrent of backlash since the announcement, with many calling from to be sacked from the hit Channel 10 show

Will he be fired? The Melbourne restaurateur has faced a torrent of backlash since the announcement, with many calling from to be sacked from the hit Channel 10 show

 

Daily Mail UK

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top